Music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was allegedly the target of Wednesday’s attack on the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, the police have said.
The incident occurred in Osogbo shortly after the governor received his certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his victory in the governorship election.
Starnews NG had earlier reported that the governor’s security personnel engaged a group of unidentified men in a gun duel during his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.
Davido, the governor’s nephew, who played an active role in the election campaign, had accompanied Adeleke to the INEC office and later to the monarch’s palace, alongside his children.
The shooting reportedly sent residents around Oja Oba into panic, with witnesses saying gunfire lasted for more than 15 minutes as the unidentified men exchanged shots with the governor’s security detail.
However, the Osun State Police Command said preliminary findings indicated that the confrontation began after members of the Eye Confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, identified one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, as an alleged ex-convict, suspected notorious thug and member of the confraternity.
According to Ojelabi, Taoreed allegedly tried to gain access to Davido but was stopped by members of his security team.
He said the confrontation subsequently attracted other suspected gang members, who allegedly blocked the palace entrance and temporarily obstructed the governor’s convoy.
The police spokesman added that a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, was later shot in the Itaolokan area of Osogbo.
“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of blood,” Ojelabi said.
Yusuf was rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, but was pronounced dead by doctors on duty.
The police said the suspected gang members fled the area after the shooting.
The Command said it had launched a full-scale investigation and intensified efforts to identify and arrest those responsible for the violence.
The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the incident and assured residents that the police would deploy all available resources to bring the perpetrators to justice.
The Command also appealed to anyone with useful information about the incident to report to the nearest police station or contact the police through its official channels.
Residents were urged to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands as the investigation continues.
The police said further updates would be released as more details emerge.